Appendix B. Complete details of interview participants
Following are the participants' descriptions of their job histories, modified as needed to preserve anonymity:
Finally, my own experience has influenced this research. After graduating from college in 1991, I spent five years working as a copy editor for a small newspaper and a mid-sized newspaper. I then spent two years working for the Web site of a mid-sized newspaper, joining the staff soon after the site launched. I also worked for one year as an editor at a wire service before moving into my present job developing message boards and other interactive content for a Web site affiliated with a major newspaper. At each of my jobs, I also have written and reported on occasion.
- TVB: Investigative and general assignment TV News reporter. I've been a TV news reporter for a little more than 20 years. Bachelor's degree in radio and television news from prominent journalism school.
- TVA: Currently, I am a news director, running a news department with 41 people. News director in several cities, including one very large market. I began my career as a photographer, and progressed upwards to news management.
- TV/Web A: I am director of new media, which means I supervise the staff that produces [local television Web site] and related new media content. I have been working at [station in mid-sized city] since 1995. The site launched in Jan. 1996. Has worked as reporter and editor at two newspapers and a career services director at a journalistm school.
- Web B: I am an editor at [a major Internet company], in its new Devices division. My past job experience includes writing for newspapers and magazines.
- Web C: I write a media column, twice a week. Worked in magazines for 15 years as an editor and writer. Worked on the web since 1995.
- Newspaper/Web A: I am Money Editor for [Web site]. My past job experience includes 10 years reporting and editing for that paper's Money section. Before that, I worked for more than 12 years as a reporter/editor at financial trade magazines and small to medium-sized newspapers, including three years as an editorial writer at another major newspaper.
- Web A: Programs content at a major Internet company, along with lots of project management. I work a lot with the community applications and community-building.
- Newspaper B: Staff writer at major newspaper for 18 months. Before that, I was a reporter at [a mid-sized paper] for almost 8 years.
- Newspaper A: Personal finance editor at a major newspaper. Before that, worked as assignment editor, business editor, features editor, day Metro editor, reporter, bureau chief and copy editor at various papers dating back to 1969. Served in the U.S. Army from 1970 to 1972.